Paprika Butter Beans
Paprika Butter Beans in this version is one of the simplest vegan versions of a traditional Czech dish (which usually uses chicken). I made this for a quick lunch today, as I had some leftover cooked butter beans in the fridge. If I had any vegan cream in the fridge, I would have added it too.
- 1 small onion
- sea salt
- 2 large serving spoons or more of cooked butter beans
- 1 tsp paprika or a little more
- vegetable stock or hot water
- 2 tsp buckwheat flour
- 2 tsp shoyu or tamari soy sauce
- ume seasoning
- Heat a little oil in a pan. Slice the onion thinly.
- Fry the onion gently in the oil with a pinch of salt, until lightly coloured and fragrant.
- Then add the beans and sprinkle with paprika. Cook for a few minutes again.
- Add a little vegetable stock and sprinkle with buckwheat flour. Mix well. Add soy sauce and cook for a few minutes.
- Adjust saltiness with more soy sauce and/or ume seasoning according to your liking.
See how to make a simple homemade vegetable stock.
To make a complete meal, combine with cooked grain, raw and cooked vegetables, and garnish with toasted seeds and fresh herbs. Here I have used white basmati rice with red quinoa, nishime style carrot and spring greens, little gem lettuce, pumpkin seeds and parsley.