Easy Vegan Tofu Pasta Sauce
This tofu pasta sauce is an easy mid-week dinner. You could even have it made up in advance and just warm it up when you need it. The base for the sauce (before diluting) could even be used as vegan ricotta spread. My inspiration was this tofu spread recipe from lovely Jíme Jinak.
Tofu Pasta Sauce or Vegan Ricotta?
If you follow the sauce recipe steps all the way to before the blending, you can use this as a spread or dip, or vegan ricotta cheese to be used in other recipes.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 200-250g plain or flavoured firm tofu
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- lemon juice
- ume seasoning
- soy sauce,
- apple cider vinegar,
- 1 tsp white miso
- 1/2 carrot, finely grated
- 50 g celeriac, finely grated
- 2 handfuls of rocket (arugula), half chopped, half whole
- If your tofu is plain, cook it for 10 min in salted water (you can halve the block before cooking). If you have smoked salt, you could try to use that for salting the water. If your tofu is already flavoured and salty skip this step. Reserve the cooking water.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and cook till it softens up a little.
- Blend the cooked tofu with the onion, garlic and nutritional yeast in a food processor.
- Return to the pan and dilute it to a consistence of sauce using the water you have boiled the tofu in, reserved pasta water, vegetable stock or plain water.
- If the sauce is not salty enough, add between 1 tsp and 1 tbsp soy sauce, and cook for a minute.
- Take the sauce off the heat, stir in the white miso, grated vegetables and chopped rocket, and adjust taste with ume seasoning, lemon juice and apple cider vinegar.
- Use the rest of the rocket for garnish.
- Serve with pan fried onion squash wedges. Garnish with fresh ricotta or basil, chopped up walnuts or other nuts and vegan parmesan.
- Because the tofu sauce does not contain any cooked vegetables, you can store it in the fridge for couple of days.
- Use our homemade vegetable stock for diluting the sauce base.