My sister and I have made these super easy beetroot noodles as a quick vegan gluten free lunch the other day. She had some seasonal veg, like sprouting broccoli and beetroot from her local farmer, so we have turned them into this recipe.
Making Carrot and Beetroot noodles
I have enjoyed julienning the carrots with my sister’s special peeler from Lakeland. I could have done the beetroot the same way, it would have looked really good, like multi-coloured noodles. Of course if you have any kind of spiralizer, this would work great too. I think I will be buying the peeler myself.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 beetroot
- 6-8 pieces sprouting broccoli
- garlic granules
- ground fenugreek
- ground ginger
- ume seasoning
- lemon juice
- apple cider vinegar
- Julienne the carrot and beetroot or just coarsely grate them.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add sliced onion with a pinch of salt and cook for a few minutes.
- Then add the julienned carrots, beetroot a sprouting broccoli cut into bitesize pieces.
- Add a couple of pinches of each of the spices, and cook till the vegetables are softened up and not raw. You can put a lid on the pan for a while to make it cook in its own steam.
- Adjust saltiness and acidity using ume seasoning, lemon juice and apple cider vinegar.
- We have served this over some gluten free noodles, which gave it an interesting appearance.
- Toast a mixture of seeds in a dry pan, and use for garnish, together with some chopped spring onion.