Chickpea Patties – Vegan and Gluten Free
I have made these easy vegan chickpea patties recently when I fancied something fried and bit crispy, yet still healthy and nutritious. They are also easy to make, you basically just throw a bunch of things into a blender, heat some oil, and easily shape and fry them.
I have inspired myself with this recipe from BBC Good Food, but made it vegan by using chia/flax egg, and gluten free by using rice breadcrumbs.
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 3 handfuls of coriander (cilantro) stalks
- 2 tbsp ground chia (or flax) seeds (soaked)
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup rice breadcrumbs
- black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- Start with soaking the chia seeds in a little water. It should create a gloopy substance of egg-like consistency.
- In the meantime, chop the onion.
- Blend the chickpeas, lemon zest, lemon juice, cumin, coriander, the soaked seeds, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a frying pan until hot.
- In the meantime, mix the breadcrumbs into the chickpea mixture.
- Form 4 patties and fry on both sides over medium heat, taking care not to burn them.
- Here I have served these patties with roasted Brussels sprouts, millet and pumpkin mash, and some extra coriander garnish.
- You could serve these in a bun as burgers, maybe next day, if you have leftovers.