Easy weekday pasta with Brown lentils
Our easy weekday pasta that can be ready in about half an hour and which even fussy eaters will enjoy!
Don’t know how it works in your household but I’m sure that lot of people would agree with the next statement. When short on time, pasta always comes to rescue! I wonder why we don’t have a pasta superhero yet, with all the recent superhero movies coming out!
This is a very simple quick recipe that anyone can whip up in under 30 mins. As long as you have your lentils prepared ahead but even then, it only takes 20 mins to cook them in a separate pot, whilst you doing the stir frying and boiling your pasta. If you are as organized as me and cut all your veggies the night before, you can actually have this meal ready in about 10-15 mins. That’s what we all want in our busy lifes, am I right? Quick, easy and tasty recipes that we can return to in the time of need!
Hopefully you won’t be disappointed with our take on the classic bolognese pasta and find it just as good, less the meat and cruelty!
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 125g brown rice pasta
- 60g brown lentils, cooked
- handful of tender-stem broccoli
- 1/4 chopped onion
- an inch of finely cut up leek
- 1 thinly sliced closed cup mushroom
- 1 kale leaf, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 carrot, peeled into long strips
- 100ml tomato passata
- 1 cup of boiled water
- 1 tbsp coconut oil for frying
- garlic granules or chopped garlic clove
- 1/2 tsp marjoram
- 1/2 tsp tarragon
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- splash of ume plum seasoning/ tamari soy sauce
- sunflower and pumpkin seeds to sprinkle over
- some fresh greens such as parsley or celery tops leaves
- Start by heating up a tbsp of coconut oil in a small pan and browning the onion with a pinch of salt.
- Fry for 2 minutes, till it starts to soften up.
- Add the mushroom slices and kale, and fry together for a few more mins.
- Meanwhile boil some water for the pasta and pop it straight in with a pinch of salt and the broccoli.
- Cook for 5-7 mins on a low heat.
- Return to your stir fry and pour in the passata, thinned with a bit of previously boiled water, stirring the vegetables in.
- Pop your lentils in as well to heat up through and continue to stew.
- When the pasta's finished cooking, throw the carrot strips and chopped leek into the stir fry and cook for another minute.
- Season with garlic, marjoram and tarragon, adding either a bit of ume vinegar or tamari sauce to tweak the taste.
- Sprinkle sunflower/ pumpkin seeds over the dish and decorate with fresh parsley.
Tips for Easy weekday pasta:
For added cheesy taste, blend half a cup of cashews with same amount of water and a pinch of salt. Then add some yeast flakes. Blend again. Pout over the pasta and enjoy!
Or try our vegan cheesy sauce here: https://misohealthy.co.uk/2017/09/14/vegan-cheesy-pasta-sauce/
The seeds will be much tastier and easier to digest if you quickly rinse them and dry toast them in a pan. No added salt needed.
As with all our recipes, don’t be afraid to experiment and use what is available to you. Use veg, that you have at home and is in season at the time. This will keep the dish varied over the time and you won’t get bored with it so easily.